An arrest warrant has been issued for a man accused of assaulting a Black mother and daughter outside Southgate Centre last December.
On Wednesday, the two-day trial of Richard Bradley Stevens was scheduled to begin, however, his lawyer said last month it was converted to a “speak-to” date, as he had lost contact with Stevens.
However, with Stevens failing to appear in court Wednesday and his lawyer unable to establish communication with him, the provincial Crown prosecutor asked for a warrant for Stevens’ arrest, which the judge approved.
Stevens’ lawyer also made an application to withdraw as his counsel.
This is the second time Stevens did not appear in court and an arrest warrant had been issued.
Stevens is accused of assaulting a mother and daughter outside Southgate Centre. Both women were wearing hijabs.
According to police, on Dec. 8, 2020, a man approached two women as they sat in their car at the shopping mall and began yelling “racially motivated obscenities.”
Witnesses said the man punched the passenger side window, causing it to shatter. The woman in the passenger seat fled and was followed by the man, who allegedly pushed her to the ground and assaulted her.
The second woman was also shoved to the ground when she tried to help, police said. The attack ended when bystanders intervened.
Stevens is facing two charges of assault and a charge of mischief for damage to the car window.