Smoke filled the skies Tuesday morning after a garbage bin caught fire in west Edmonton.
Firefighters were called at 3:40 a.m. about a fire at GFL’s Winterburn Transfer Station near 113 Avenue and 202 Street and crews arrived within 10 minutes. No one was injured, no buildings were damaged, and the fire was contained to a bin, said Edmonton Fire Rescue Services spokesperson Brittany Lewchuk.
“The winds were drifting the heavy smoke north,” she said. “We were getting a lot of 911 calls on it, but anyone who lives in Starling or Trumpeter would have seen heavy or thick smoke over the Henday.”
The fire was declared out just after 9 a.m.